More About Rick:
• Attended Iowa State (majoring in Horticulture) after getting an Associate Degree in Electronic Engineering Technology
• Retired from City of Ames Electric Services in 2015
• Interest in prairies began as a volunteer at the Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge
• Member of the Panora Conservation Chapter of the Izaak Walton League and the Iowa Environmental Council
• Recipient of INHF’s Hagie Heritage Award (2020), the Olav Smedal Conservation Award, and an IOWATER Volunteer of the Year Award (both in 2006)
• Served in the Army National Guard, 1988-1993
Rick and his wife Carol Hansell, both Iowa natives, live just north of Ames where their home overlooks prairie, woodlands, and the Skunk River Valley.