This story is in three parts. Make sure to keep an eye out for each piece to learn more about The Hamilton County Conservation Board is proud to proclaim its newest public wildlife management area that will be known as “Brandrup’s Timber”.
The Hamilton County Conservation Board is proud to proclaim its newest public wildlife management area that will be known as “Brandrup’s Timber”. The story of this land and its designation as public land begins with Mike and Pat Brandrup and their story of the lands journey.
“The land we call our farm was once part the Native American culture, owned by no one and shared by all, and used for centuries. In 1803 the United States government acquired the land as part of the Louisiana Purchase.
According to the land abstracts, our farm was deeded from the federal government to a private individual in the 1854, and has been owned by over 30 individual and families. During the 160 years that followed in private ownership, there were many changes on the land. It went from native prairie and timber to a subsistence farm, to a cattle farm, and eventually to present day row crop farm. Prairies were converted to farm land, timber was cleared, wetlands were drained, and the farm produced crops and income to support generations of landowners and farm families. Each time the land changed ownership the new owner would do what they could to “increase the productivity” of the land……
Be sure to catch Part 2 at a later date!