Iowa Outdoor Learning Environments Conference
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
Click here to download the agenda as a PDF.
Agenda – Friday
7:00 AM – Exhibitors set up.
8:00 AM – Registration & breakfast; visit exhibitors.
8:45 AM – Conference Welcome / Outdoor Learning Environment Program Update
9:00 AM – Special Guest and Student Presentations: Benefits & Importance of Outdoor Education and STEM.
10:00 AM – Workshop Session 1 *(3 options – 1 from each track) – see below
10:50 AM – Break
11:00 AM – Workshop Session 2 *(3 options – 1 from each track) – see below
11:50 AM – Break; Finish voting on Bench Competition Round Table Topic Discussions
12:15 – 1:45 PM – Lunch with Keynote Speaker & OLE and Bench Competition Awards
1:45 PM – Break; Visit exhibitors.
2:00 PM – Workshop Session 3 *(3 options – 1 from each track) – see below
2:50 PM – Break
3:00 PM – Workshop Session 4 *(3 options – 1 from each track) – see below
3:50 PM – Break with snack; Visit exhibitors; Round Table Topics, and ICEC Annual Meeting.
4:30 – 5:30 PM – Panel of OLE Program Participants with Q&A and Conference Wrap Up.
Agenda – Saturday
8:00 AM – Morning Yoga at Downtown Park / Benefits of Nature for Health.
9:00 – 12:00 PM – OLE Field Trip: Bus departs from Hotel.
- City of Des Moines: Nature Playgrounds
- Polk County Conservation: Jester Park Nature Playground
- Wild Edibles: Foraging Exploration
*Conference Tracks (for Workshop Sessions):
- OLE Process and Planning
- Creating a Community to Support your OLE
- Seeking Funding Sources and Grantwriting
- How to Market an OLE to Non-Believers
- How to Organize Volunteers
- Creating Educational Programs for OLE’s
- Foraging for Food in an OLE
- Connecting Students to Place
- Nature Play: Directed vs. Undirected
- Using STEM and NGSS in an OLE
- OLE Design, Implementation, and Maintenance
- Designing an Outdoor Learning Space
- Planting Design with Native Plants
- How to Establish and Maintain a Native Planting
- Designing Water Features and BMPs in OLE’s